Saturday, December 1, 2012

OM.2001.027 - Judy Finer USA.


Postmark Paris



Postmark Paris
collage
Judy Finer

Judy Finer
 USA.

Printed books are the source of all elements: The stamps are printed pages taken from a small book, Postmark Paris, a gift to me from a friend. The collaged birds are cutouts from a 1930's illustrated guide to North American birds; the added text is taken from an old dictionary.

I mean these small pieces to be evocative of the spirit of Baker's Dozen - art (the French stamps themselves) and communication over distances, the carrying of messages(stamps and birds). I also use the birds as nods to Ernst and Cornell. In this series, I enjoyed playing with ambiguities of scale, picture plane illusions, visual puns, and the enigmatic beginnings of narratives. Like one-liners, the pieces were fun and fairly quick to do.

This work is different from my usual collages. I typically use more elements and dense layering for greater visual/relationship complexities.



No comments:

Post a Comment